Automatically Create Random Groups
Instructors can use the auto create feature in Moodle to rapidly create and fill groups of randomly-assigned students.
Create the groups
- Click Groups from the “Users” drop-down in the “Course administration” menu.
- Click Auto-create groups.
Edit group settings
- In the “Naming scheme” section, set the naming convention for your groups. You can include any text. You must include either an @ or # wildcard to use either letters or numbers.
- In the “Auto create based on” section, you can either have Moodle arrange groups with a specified number of students per group or by a total number of groups in the course.
- In the “Group/member count” section, you can set the number of students per group or the total number of groups (depending on what you chose for the “Auto create based on” section).
- Click Preview to make sure the groups are acceptable.
- Click Submit to finalize the creation of your groups.