Send Private Messages in Moodle
The messaging function can be use to send private messages to individual users or groups within Moodle.
To access the Messages tool click on your name in the top right hand corner of your screen and select ‘Messages‘. You can also access your messages by clicking on the Messaging Drawer icon in the top right hand corner of any Moodle page beside your profile name and image.
On the Moodle Messages page there are a number of different options:
- Search – You can use the Search box for people to message
- Settings – Change your messaging settings by clicking on the gear/cog icon
- Contacts – Access your list of contacts
- Starred Messaging Space – which lists messages you have starred for easy access and includes a personal space for saving drafts, links or other content.
- Group Messages – for sending message to course/module groups you may be a member of
- Private Messages – for sending private messages to other Moodle users e.g. students, module leaders, administrators
You can expand each of these sections to see a list of conversations in each space..
Send a Private Message to another Moodle user
- To send a message start by typing the name of the person you would like to message into the Search box and click the search icon.
2. Click on the name of the user you would like to message or click ‘Load More’ to load more search results if their name does not appear.
3. Once you have found the correct user you can start to type your message in the ‘Write a message’ field in the right hand pane and click the send icon to send your message
4. The Message Menu located behind the three ellipses (…) allows you to check User Info and Block or Mute messages from the user. You can also Delete the conversation or Add the user to your contacts.
Send a Message to a Moodle group – Students
If Groups have been created on your Module site your Module leader can enable Group Messages. If Group Messaging has been enabled your group name and the module code will automatically appear under the Groups section of your Messages page.
- Click on the ‘Group’ dropdown icon to open the group messaging area.
2. Click on the name of the group you want to message e.g. Project Group A.
3. Type your message in the ‘Write a Message’ field and click the send icon.
4. The Message Menu located behind the three ellipses (…) provides options to check the Group Info (participants), Star the conversation or Mute the conversation.
Send a Private Message to course/module participants – Teachers
Teachers or module leaders can send private messages to selected course participants via the Participants page of their Moodle course.
- Open your Moodle course or module page.
2. Click on ‘Participants’ in the Navigation Drawer on the left hand side of the screen.
3. Use the check boxes to the left of listed participants to select individual participants or click the select all check-box at the top of the list to send all enrolled users a message.
4. From the ‘With selected users….’ menu choose ‘Send a Message’.
5. Type your message in the message field and click ‘Send message to x people’. All participants will receive an individual private message and will be able to reply directly to your message.